This heirloom tomato galette is a delicious, savoury Summer recipe.
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 240g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 60–80 ml ice cold water
- 1 egg, beaten (for brushing)
- For the Filling:
- 3 Tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 2 small-medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Community Co Sea Salt*
- Community Co Black Peppercorns*
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
How to make:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt together. Pinch the cold butter into the mixture with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add ice cold water and gently knead the dough in a bowl until it all comes together. Shape into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 190°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the tomato slices in a large plate covered with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a large circle. Transfer the dough to a prepared baking sheet.
- Spread an even layer of ricotta onto the crust leaving a 5-7 cm border all around. Lay the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with minced garlic and fresh thyme.
- Gently fold the edges of the dough over the filling, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Brush the edges with beaten egg and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the tomatoes cooked through.