Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, these moreish nuggets make a great vegan-friendly appetizer or main.
- 450g firm silken tofu
- ¾ cup corn flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Community Co Vegetable Oil (Available from your local IGA store)
- 2 handfuls of green beans
For the dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp of corn starch
- ½ tsp finely chopped chilli (Feel free to use more or less depending on taste or omit if your kids don’t like chilli)
How to make:
- Cut the tofu in half through the middle to make 2 thinner blocks. Wrap in a tea towel and place on a cutting board. Place a heavy item such as a thick book on top to press out the water. Leave for a about ½ an hour.
- In the meantime, mix the corn flour, cornmeal and salt and pepper together in a bowl for the coating.
- You can also use this time to make the sauce. Whisk all sauce ingredients in a small pot and cook over medium to high heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- When the tofu has finished pressing, cut into cubes, and coat well with the coating mix.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan. Add the tofu and cook until crispy on all sides. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Blanch green beans and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve the tofu with dipping sauce and a side of green beans and enjoy!