This delicious bread is so easy to make, no kneading required!
up to 18 hours (sit time)
1 hr 45 mins
- 3 cups wholemeal pastry flour, plus extra
- 1½ teaspoons Community Co Sea Salt*
- ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- ⅓ cup grated carrot
- ⅓ cup Community Co Aussie Sultanas*
- ¼ cup Community Co Sunflower Seeds* plus extra
- ¼ cup Community Co Pepitas*, plus extra
- 1½ cups room temperature water
How to make:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pastry flour, salt, and instant yeast.
- Add the grated carrot, sultanas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and water. Using a spatula, stir the dough until it comes together. The dough will seem dry in spots and tough. This is fine, it will hydrate and unify overnight. Cover the bowl tightly and place in a slightly warmer area of your house overnight, or for up to 18 hours.
- Arrange oven racks to accommodate a large cast iron pot (Dutch oven). Place pot in the oven and turn the heat up to 230°C. Leave the pot to heat for 1 hour.
- Place a piece of baking paper on bench top. Fill a clean spray bottle with water.
- While the oven is preheating, shape your bread. Lightly sprinkle a working surface with more pastry flour. Using a spatula, gently scrape the bread dough out onto your floured surface. Flour your hands and gently shape the dough into a nice round loaf. Sprinkle with extra seeds.
- Place the dough on top of the baking paper and cover.
- When the Dutch oven has been in the oven for an hour carefully remove it and place on stovetop. Remove the lid. Grab the corners of the baking paper and quickly lift the dough into the pot. Quickly spritz the inside of the hot Dutch oven lid with water before replacing the lid.
- Return the Dutch oven to oven for 30 minutes.
- Open the oven, carefully remove the lid from the Dutch oven. Leave bread to cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until top is browned.
- Remove bread from the oven and leave to cool for 2 hours before slicing.