A delicious, hearty, and healthy plant-based alternative to bolognese sauce.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 700g tomato passata
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- To serve:
- 300g cooked pasta
- Grated parmesan cheese
How to make:
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook until ingredients begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the pasta, tomato paste and stock and bring to the boil.
- Add lentils, thyme and oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.