This classic Egyptian dish is a tasty way to use up leftover rice or pasta.
- 1 packet Community Co Macaroni*
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 tbsp Community Co Rice Bran Oil*
- ½ cup green lentils (dry)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp Community Co Black Peppercorns*
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 40mL lime juice
- Side dish suggestions:
- Salad greens
- Fresh tomatoes
How to make:
- Boil pasta for 10 minutes or until cooked, drain and set aside.
- Boil green lentils for 20 minutes until tender, drain and set aside.
- Fry the onion in a well-oiled fry pan until very well cooked and caramelised around the edges. Remove the onions from the oil and place on a separate plate.
- In the same fry pan, add the cooked lentils and fry for 2 minutes then add rice for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to lowest setting so that the rice and lentils cooks slowly for 30 minutes.
- In another fry pan, fry the garlic. Add the tomatoes, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, ground coriander and lime juice and heat through.
- To serve this dish, you can lay out all the components so each person can make their own in a bowl. Start with the rice and lentils as the base, then add some pasta, then chickpeas, some tomato sauce then fried onions to top it off. Serve hot.