A delicious way to use up any leftover hot cross buns from Easter
- 6 Community Co free range egg yolks*
- 2 Community Co free range eggs*
- 300ml Community Co Full Cream Milk*
- 300ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 75g butter
- 8 hot cross buns, halved
- ½ cup Community Co Aussie Sultanas*
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks and whole eggs together in a bowl.
- Place the milk and cream into a pan over a low heat and slowly bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Pour the milk and cream into the egg mixture, add vanilla essence and whisk well.
- Butter the hot cross buns, then cut into quarters.
- Place a layer of the hot cross buns into a 22cm x 10cm, 5cm deep ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with some sultanas. Repeat the layers and finish with a final layer of buns.
- Pour the custard over the buns and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Place the dish into a deep roasting tray and add enough water to the tray to come a third of the way up the dish (this is a bain-marie). Cover with foil.
- Carefully place the pudding and bain-marie into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the custard has set. Remove the foil for the final five minutes of cooking to brown the top.