This delicious tart is perfect for sharing with family and friends.
- 450g Sebago potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 50g salted butter
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 200g creme fraiche
- 1 small brown onion, diced
How to make:
- Place potatoes in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil, then par-boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Grease a 20cm fluted pie pan or round cake pan. To make the pastry, beat the butter, fennel seeds with electric beaters until thick and pale. Beat in flour, then egg yolk and 1 tbsp iced water until combined. Shape into a disc, then enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out pastry to 3mm thick and use to line the pan, trimming the excess. Prick the base with a fork, then chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, place the potato, cheese, creme fraiche and onion in a large bowl and gently stir to combine. Season and set aside.
- Line pastry shell with baking paper and fill with rice or pastry weights, then bake for 15 minutes. Remove the weights and paper, then bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Spread the filling into the pastry shell, then bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Cool the tart for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve the tart warm or at room temperature.