A delicious and nutritious vegetarian alternative to butter chicken.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1½ cups tomato passata
- 180g halloumi, cubed
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1½ tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- To serve:
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Greek Yoghurt
- Lime wedges
- Steamed rice
How to make:
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and all of the spices to the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until very fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the vegetable stock and stir, being sure to scrape all of the browned bits off the bottom.
- Add the tomato passata, coconut milk and chickpeas and stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the halloumi and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
- Serve rice and top with a spoonful of yoghurt and fresh coriander.