Perfect for Father’s Day, this beetroot burger is packed with folate for a nutrient boost!
- ½ cup of Community Co Semolina
- 3 beetroot
- 3 carrots
- 3 kale leaves
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 slices of low fat cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tsp Community Co olive oil
- 6 wholemeal burger buns
How to make it:
- Dry roast semolina in a pan (with no oil) over medium heat, until light brown. Transfer to a plate to completely cool. Set aside 2-3 tbsp.
- Peel and grate the beetroot and set aside in a bowl. Grate the carrots separately.
- Finely chop the kale. Chop the garlic cloves and onion.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and add the semolina (leaving aside 2-3 tablespoons) and stir to prevent lumps forming. Switch off the heat and cool completely.
- Heat a tsp of olive oil and saute onion and garlic on a medium – low heat. Add carrots and beetroot into the pan cooking until soft, followed by the kale. Cook for a few minutes, then switch off the heat, and work in the left over semolina, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Using ½ cup of mixture, the kids can help you form 6 burger patties, and coat with the leftover roasted semolina.
- Add 2 tsp of olive oil into a pan, and cook the burgers for 5-10 mins on each side. In the last few minutes of cooking, place a slice of cheese on top of each pattie to melt. Place patties onto a plate to cool before serving with your favourite toppings!