If possible, arrange a definite pickup time for your adoptee. Ask that the puppy not be fed prior to being picked up. This will help avoid your puppy’s becoming car sick on its way to its new home.
Bring your puppy home at the beginning of a weekend, or, even better, a vacation. This provides time to introduce your puppy to its new home and to begin housebreaking and other training.
Do not leave your puppy alone for long periods of time. Left alone in strange surroundings, a puppy may become frightened or lonesome which could result in destructive behaviour. When unattended, leave it in its crate or in an area where it cannot do any damage. Give it a toy (be certain the label states it is safe for puppies) to help prevent boredom. Gradually increase the length of separation time to help your puppy become accustomed to being alone.
Socialization Is Essential. Animal behaviour studies show that the key period of socialization of puppies to humans is from six to eight weeks. This is the ideal age to adopt a puppy so socialization to humans as well as other training can get underway.
To socialize a puppy:
- give it lots of attention and affection,
- call it by its chosen name consistently,
- gradually introduce it to people – one or two at a time under circumstances you can control
- let it explore its surroundings,
- take it for walks around the neighbourhood
Your puppy’s homecoming will be smoother if you prepare in advance. Here is a shopping list of essentials to have on hand before your puppy comes home:
- brush or handmitt for grooming depending upon whether your puppy is a long hair or short hair
- collar and leash
- food and water bowls that are heavy, nontippable and easy to clean
- crate or bed for the puppy who is housed indoors
- toys designed for dogs
- information about housebreaking and basic obedience
- a high-quality nutritionally complete and balanced food formulated to meet the needs of growing puppies such as Purina…
To see more from Purina, visit www.purina.com.au to browse their tips and range of products.