We, the 1400 independently owned and operated grocers of Australia, operating under the banners of IGA, Foodland and Friendly Grocer, are committed to being responsible members of the communities in which we live and work. We understand that sustainability means that we seek to improve our economic, social and environmental, performance without harming the ability of future generations to enjoy the same economic, social and environmental conditions that we do today.
We will endeavor to continuously improve our sustainability performance, and conduct our business in a socially responsible manner while reducing the cost of doing business to ensure that we are the strong third force in grocery retailing in Australia.
We will do this through embracing opportunities and managing risks, including by participating in the Metcash led Sustainability@Retail and Community Chest programs.
The independent grocers of Australia will:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and adhere to regulatory standards at local, national and international levels as required;
- Actively prevent pollution
- Ensure we act in a socially responsible manner in regards to the management of our people, our communities and resources;
- Integrate principles of sustainability into decision making;
- Support our suppliers, customers and communities to become more socially responsible and sustainable;
- Communicate our sustainability actions;
- Commit to continuous improvement of sustainability performance.
The independent grocers of Australia will seek to engage the active support of all employees and stakeholders. We expect to implement initiatives that will reduce costs, carbon emissions, waste, water use, and deliver other business benefits such as positive listing on shareholder indexes and a reduction in risk. Accountability and responsibility to act in a socially responsible and sustainable manner is everyone’s responsibility at IGA.
Independent grocers of Australia anticipate that through working together, sharing successes, and improving all aspects of the business, that IGA will be sustainable leaders in the retailing of groceries.
IGA National Council Chairman