These cute, festive brownies make a delicious addition to any Christmas celebration!
For the brownies:
- 2 cups zucchini, coarsely grated (not tightly packed)
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 large Community Co Free Range Egg*
- ½ cup Community Co Coconut Oil*, melted
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Community Co Sea Salt*
For the icing:
- 1 tsp natural red food colouring
- 200g cream cheese, softened
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 packet mini white marshmallows, cut in half
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
*Community Co Products are available from your local IGA store.
How to make:
- Place zucchini in a colander while you are getting other ingredients ready.
- Preheat oven to 190°C and line a round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add egg, oil, maple syrup or honey and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add cacao powder, baking soda and salt and whisk until well mixed.
- Give zucchini a gentle squeeze to remove excess moisture but do not ring out completely. Add to bowl and stir.
- Add flour and mix gently until combined.
- Transfer batter into prepared cake tin and level with spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about an hour. Lift by the parchment paper flaps and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and honey or maple syrup together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the food colouring to the remaining icing and stir to combine. Spoon icing into a piping bag (or into a ziplock bag and then snip off the corner).
- To decorate each brownie, use a piece of piece of baking paper with a straight edge to cover the brownie, leaving a strip at the bottom. Use a sieve or tea-strainer to sprinkle icing sugar over the exposed edge. Zigzag the red icing over the remaining brownie. Place half a mini white marshmallow at the pointed end of the brownie.