Rice noodles, crunchy veggies and crispy tofu make this Vietnamese-inspired rice noodle salad absolutely irresistible!
- For the noodle salad:
- 250g dried vermicelli rice noodles
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded or julienned
- ½ medium cucumbers, julienned
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup roasted peanuts
- For the crispy tofu:
- 500g extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
How to make:
- Make the crispy tofu:
- Cut tofu into bite-sized cubes.
- Coat a large, flat-bottomed pan with sesame oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes in a single layer.
- Cook the tofu for about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice to achieve browning on multiple sides.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over the tofu and flip a few times to coat. Cook another minute or two, until the sauce thickens up just a bit.
- Remove tofu from heat and transfer it to a plate.
- Make the noodle salad:
- Cook rice noodles according to instructions on packet. Rinse with cold water and leave in a colander to drain.
- Whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, ginger and garlic together in small bowl.
- Place the noodles into a bowl and add the cabbage, carrots, cucumber, coriander, mint and spring onions. Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss to coat.
- Divide the noodle salad onto plates or into bowls. Top with tofu and peanuts. Serve.