Leek & Pea Soup
* 3 (1.2kg) large leeks
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 litre chicken stock (use vegetable stock for a vegetarian option)
* 300g potatoes, peeled, chopped
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 1/2 cup light cream
* 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* extra chives, to garnish
* 1x 300g fresh pizza base (approx 30cm diameter)
* Olive oil spray
* 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
* 2 teaspoons sea salt
Serves 6; Prep: 20 mins; Cook: 50 mins
1. Trim the base of the leeks. Then cut away green tops of leeks to within 5mm of the white part. Cut leeks in half lengthways and place in a bowl of warm water to loosen dirt. Drain. Cut leeks into thin slices.
2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add leeks, stir for 30 seconds. Cover, cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for15 minutes. Add stock and potatoes and bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make sesame wedges. Cut pizza base into thin wedges. Spray all over with cooking oil. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sea salt.
4. Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Add frozen peas to leek mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then stir in cream and milk.
6. Blend soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to same pan, stir over heat until hot. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve soup with sesame wedges and garnish with chives.